The Board of Trustees of a professional white collar union in one of the nation’s largest municipalities was confronted with managing escalating healthcare costs and their impact on reducing the menu of employer paid benefits offered to union members. In addition, the changing demographics of their membership precipitated a shift to a more customized defined benefit approach to their benefit plan design and delivery process. The retention and growth of the union’s dues paying constituents was an additional factor that drove their decision to find a cost effective solution to coordinate with the City’s sick leave policy and help to offset the rising out of pocket costs of other employer paid life and health insurance benefits.
The Benefits Plus Consulting Solution
- Conducted a needs assessment of the executive leadership to develop the criteria for a voluntary benefits solution and define the scope of work
- Conducted an independent Request for Proposal of leading voluntary benefit providers
- Presented the results of the RFP with a cost/benefit analysis to the Board of Trustees and assisted with the vendor selection and integration process
- Developed and conducted a benefits promotion, communications and enrollment strategy inclusive of:
- Meetings with the shop stewards
- Employee communication (posters, flyers, website, newsletters, emails, social media)
- Organized an enrollment team to conduct city-wide, on-site enrollments of Voluntary Short-term Disability, Life and Med Support Insurance products.
- Handled unresolved service, payroll deduction and claims issues secondary to the provider.
During its 15-year tenure with this client, the Benefits Plus Team has transitioned its membership to two new voluntary benefit providers, due to unforeseen service issues and 40% rate increases, while maintaining the integrity of the benefits offered, maintaining level premiums and a high degree of member satisfaction.
Case studies presented are not indicative of all client experience with Benefits Plus Consulting Group, Inc. Each client has unique circumstances and the case studies presented are only meant to illustrate common issues encountered by our clients and the methodology we follow. Case studies presented should not be interpreted as a guarantee of future success.